In an effort to create some memories that last forever with minimal waste or carbon output try these Friday night (or anytime) date ideas! Feel free to mix and match!
Some of these day time date ideas would be considered work for all but the most committed greenie, get out and give them a try!
- sign up for habitat for humanity
- apple picking in fall
- visit a farmers market
- go for a bike ride picnic
- clean up a park
- if you can get your hands on one, go for a canoe or kayak ride (just don’t use a motor, ok?)
My babysitters are usually available during the evening so here are some night-time date ideas that I’ve given some extra thought to
- Scope out a pretty well-lit park and settle in for a night-time picnic, if your date wants to volunteer to make up the basket even better!
- Head to a restaurant that serves organic or local food. This is usually better suited for someone who lives in a city so public transport or even your feet can be taken advantage of. Luckily for me (who lives in the country) there are many little bed and breakfast spots/little restaurants nearby that have great local organic selections. Another note, if you tend to leave lotsa food on your plate consider bringing your own take out container in place of those waste full styrofoam thingies or foil.
- Take a walk around and browse used book stores. Consider this little equation: great deal + exercise + loads to talk about + a new book = great date. If you don’t love to read,consider looking for pretty books for decorating.
- Go together to the liquor store and choose some organic wine or beer, stop in for some organic snacks on the way home and enjoy together
- This idea is probably better suited to a couple that lives in the counrty or has a fireplace, but spiked hot chocolate and a campfire is another great option.
- If you live in the city, go spontaneous and do a random mass transit date. Choose a stop randomly and this is where your date will take place!
- Do it up old school. Like real old school. Soda shop and stroll, or coffee and stroll, or beer and stroll, or milkshake and stroll. You get the idea.
- I am a board game addict. Try a 2 player board game by candle light for a pretend it’s a black out kinda night.
- For a stay at home movie date, to save money and be eco friendly borrow movies from the library or sign up for Netflix.
No time for a date but still want to do something eco-friendly together? Conserve water and hop in a shower for two. If you have kids, turn the monitor on and remember to lock the door, as not to scar them for life…
If you have a great eco date idea I would love to hear it!!