This weekend I was inspired by the 7th annual Ethical Fashion show that’s going on right now in Paris as well as this months Green Moms Carnival , hosted this month by Diane MacEachern of Big Green Purse.
I wanted to come up with a few ways to squeeze eco fashion into my wardrobe right now. FOR CHEAP.
In my opinion thrift or vintage stores may be the best tool to green your fashions. By thrift shopping you are extending the life cycle of a garment,
keeping it out of land fills and sometimes getting a great fashion boost for your closet! Here is one example of how a cheap thrift store find easily compares to a Samantha Pleet design. For a very quick and cheap pick me up for your closet for fall, search a thrift shop for something in one of the hottest shades, textures or patterns of the season. This season look out for anything red, animal print or fur-inspired. (Do not buy real fur unless it’s at a thrift store, pretty sure that was obvious anyway…)
Host a clothing swap, there is no faster or cheaper way to update your wardrobe than to have a clothing swap with your friends. If you’re not the same size extend the swap to shoes, jewelry and accessories. If you don’t have any friends with similar taste in fashion try joining an online swap site such as Swap Style, there is something for everyone there!
If you are a Martha Stewart wanna-be
Show your skills by whipping up something cozy like these recycled wool mittens by Canadian designer Susan Harris.
You’re a hoody loving girl (like me)
I love this hoody from Nomads Hemp wear! If you happen to live in your favorite hoody, like me, I feel like it is okay to spend a little extra for a gorgeous eco option like this one!
7 steps to a fall fashion overhaul for your closet
- When you don’t know where to start when updating your wardrobe start by looking online at designers like Covet or in magazines (that you will recycle!) for inspiration.
- Once you have a good idea of the look you want to achieve, first go to your closet and take stock of what you have.
- Sort your clothes into piles of what is working for you, and what you can live without.
- Organize a swap or sign up online to Swap Style to see first what you can get (and give) for free.
- Check out Thrift stores or Ebay for pre-loved lower-priced pieces.
- Buy retail eco-friendly materials for items you still absolutely need.
- Enjoy your beautiful green wardrobe and you get to do it all over again in the Spring!!
More Ideas on how to green your fall click here.